NaNoWriMo 2018 starts three weeks from tomorrow. This is really the first chance I’ve had to start planning. If you followed along last year, you know that I use my blog to do my outlining. This isn’t really done for anyone else, but I hope that I inspire you to make your own plan so that when Nov 1 rolls around, you’re not left with only your pants on.
Let’s jump in, shall we?
- I’m going the fanfiction route, as I said in my first post.
- Harry will have confessed his love for Hermione, only to be rejected. This will have happened right after the BoH. Hermione rejected him because she wants to be with Ron. She was nice about it, but rejections hurt. Harry stuck around for the funerals, but left soon after, especially when he had to watch Hermione and Ron together at the Burrow.
- Hermione won’t show up in the story until we’re well into the case. How or why she shows up is still something I’m thinking about.
- OC Character Sketch:
- Name: Delilah James
- Role in the story: Harry’s Girlfriend
- Height 5’6″ Weight 125lbs
- Eye Color: Ice blue
- Hair Color: Brown, wavy with blonde highlights
- Background: Delilah is the daughter of a local businessman in New York City. She’s rich, but down to earth. She is the first witch in her family and studied at the Salem Institute in the US. She graduated top of her class and went to work in New York’s magical district as a bookstore owner.
- The Case (Preliminary)
- Little girl (Angela, maybe) has been missing for six weeks. Police are stumped and have moved the case onto the backburner. I originally planned for her to be little, maybe 3 or 4 years old. But I think that I’ll make her a teenager, maybe one that has a habit of running away.
- Parents hire Harry to find out what happened.
- As Harry follows the clues, he is disturbed to find out that the young girl fell in with a group of men who are renowned for their ties to Human trafficking. This should provide a darkness to the story and an urgency.
- Hermione has been dating Ron since the end of the war. She felt bad about rejecting Harry but thought she was in love with Ron.
- While she has been in a relationship with Ron, it hasn’t been a happy relationship. They fight all the time and Ron has been staying out more and more. Hermione only kept the relationship going because she was stubborn and felt that if she ended things with Ron then she lost Harry’s friendship for nothing.
- When she finally has enough of Ron’s obvious cheating, she leaves him. I don’t think she’ll go running straight to Harry, that’d be desperate and unlike Hermione. Instead, I think that maybe she decides she wants to continue her Muggle education (something she didn’t feel like she could do when she was engaged to Ron). This could lead her to somewhere like Columbia University. I’m thinking that perhaps Harry teaches a class there? or puts on a seminar? Somehow they run into each other, and that’s how they meet again. Maybe it’s just in a bar somewhere.
That’s what I have for now. I think it’s a right good start. Outside of his cheating, which I’m not sure about, Ron isn’t going to be a bad guy. He’s just not meant for Hermione. I’m not interested in vast conspiracies that are meant to bash the Weasleys or Dumbledore, at least not this time. Dumbledore won’t even be mentioned in the story outside maybe a reference or two.
So that’s it. Until next time. I hope if you’re also participating in NaNoWriMo 2018, you’ve made a good start on your own prep. Let me know in the comments if you want to talk about your work. I like talking to my fellow writers!