November seems like a long ways away, and I guess it is. Last year, I started my NaNoWriMo prep in September. So, I thought I’d start around the same time this year. My original plan was to do original fiction for the first time since 2012. I still have a great idea, but I’m not ready to dive into the research for it yet, what with all my other projects going on right now. So I’m sticking with fanfiction, which is easier to write since there is little research that needs to be done to build a world or build up characters.
One thing I’ve wanted to do for a long time is a post-war Harmony story in the Harry Potter Universe. It’s something that is in short supply since most post-war stories seem to revolve around canon pairings or Dramione for whatever reason. So that’s the plan for this year.
There are some problems I foresee, however. First, I’m participating in Quantum Bang this year, and it’s going to take up a lot of time and creative juices. Second, I’ve been working on a WIP for Castle since February that isn’t anywhere near done (Part 2 is just ending). I also have two HP WIPs that are ongoing, though neither are urgent as one is in rewriting stage and the other has been labeled for ‘infrequent updates.’
So time is going to be an issue.
Next, my idea is hard. I want to do a Private Eye-style Harry Potter set post-war, perhaps after some angst between Harry and Hermione. There are a few stories out there like this, but I want to give it a go. The problem is that I’m pretty terrible at case-fics, so I guess I’ll just have to get better.
So here are a few of my unfiltered ideas.
- This will start out several years after the BoH. Harry will be around 23 years old.
- He’ll no longer be living in Britain, having left due to the situation with Hermione and perhaps because of the fame surrounding his victory over Moldyshorts.
- He runs a private investigation firm. I’m thinking just him and an assistant.
- He’s dating someone. This should help create some tension between Hermione.
- How Hermione comes back into the story, I don’t know yet. It could be case related, but that’d hard as she’s in the UK, Harry is elsewhere.
- There will be Ron bashing because he deserves to be bashed, but I’m going to keep it to canon levels if I can. No physically abusive Ron or thief Ron or whatever.
- The case will be what brings Harry and Hermione together romantically. I’m thinking that Hermione just comes to him at first to confess her love. Or perhaps she wants to hire him and is secretly in love with him. Either way, his relationship with this other girl will play a role.
- It’s all going to be in the details for this story to pull through. I’m going to have to live by the old adage “show don’t tell” when it comes to writing. It’s something that I do struggle with, so this should be a learning experience.
So there that. As I continue brainstorming I’ll post here on my blog. It will serve as my outline for the story.